In November, STC speech therapist Stacey Arthur and AVID speech therapist Geraldine Harris presented a two-day course on the assessment and treatment of dysphagia to Cambodian health professionals, sponsored by Speech Therapy Cambodia. This course was offered at no cost to participants.
This intensive workshop provided participants with detailed understanding of:
- Anatomy and physiology of the normal swallow
- How to complete swallow screening assessments
- How to complete full clinical swallowing assessments
- Signs and symptoms of disordered swallowing
- How to identify appropriate referral for swallowing assessment
- Impact of stroke and traumatic brain injury on swallowing
- Treatment of dysphagia
Upon successful completion of the course, including passing a written examination, participants will be eligible to complete an intensive clinical practical lasting 1-3 weeks. Participants will be required to complete 10 screens and 5 evaluations independently to successfully complete the practical component.
All participants received copies of the lecture notes and resources to use in the treatment and management of dysphagia, including a 300-page training manual in English and Khmer. This invaluable resource will be used in the development of future STC-sponsored dysphagia courses and trainings in Cambodia.
Thank you, Gerri and Stacey, for your initiative and dedication in the creation of this course, and Phivan for your help in translation and interpretation.